Thursday, 13 July 2017

In Crisis Mode: How Minimalism Can Help

Facing yet another blank page, this time because I refuse to let more days pass in order to update this blog, regardless of the fact that I am still to think up the topic for today's entry. I did promise some weeks ago that I would be tackling Minimalism in my life next and I think I might just make it today's main theme.

I mentioned in my post about Zero Waste in relation to my current life situation (which you can read here: http://vintagehew.blogspot.com.mt/2017/05/zero-waste-when-lifes-in-crisis-mode.html) that I find it hard to be a diligent follower of the movement when I am in crisis mode. This to me indicates that the habit is not exactly a part of my life, or at least not enough that it remains crucial even in extreme situations. Minimalism, on the other hand, fits me like a glove and more so in my hours of need!

Whilst other people are put off moving house because it might be too daunting to face hauling all their life's possessions from one home to the next, I managed to pack up all of my fave home decorations in one box! Meanwhile, though I do admit to having more clothing items than a Minimalist usually would, I know and love each item and therefore it will be easy to move everything in an organised manner, rather than if I had a jumble of clothing that I do not know what to do with. Even all my earrings and pendants fit nicely in their ice cube trays, ready to change their drawer home at a moment's notice.

As a last example, can you imagine a non-Minimalist book-lover having to load box after heavy box of books onto the moving truck? I actually shudder to think how non-Minimalists ever move house without giving up halfway through the packing or trips! And when I do set up house again, it will be so much easier to feel complete with less furniture and storage space now that I own less things and want and need less stuff. So all in all, Minimalism has served me well in this new experience that I am going through.

But talk of physical space and practicality aside, another perk of Minimalism is needing less money over all. We can all survive with just food, clothing and shelter but we can't all live with just them. So in a sense, my less-is-more mindset has also freed me from over-worrying over how I will now manage to care for myself and my son on one smallish pay as opposed to living as a unit of three on two pays, my ex's being the better one.

I end today's post here as it is late and my sleep debt is running high (see my last entry about this here: http://vintagehew.blogspot.com.mt/2017/07/the-new-version-of-me.html) hoping to have at least today given a practical argument in favour of Minimalism as a way of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment