Thursday, 5 May 2016

We are all the same when in power – The Hunger Games

Last week I finished watching The Hunger Games film instalments though to be honest I am yet to read the books. I’d been looking forward to knowing how it all ends and more than that, to answer all the questions as to what would be happening to the characters next, as well as who Katniss Everdeen would eventually choose between Gale and Peeta, the two men in her life. Ten points to the novels’ creator for keeping us always on edge and unable to make even an educated guess about what would be the ending to the love triangle story. I must also say I was heartbroken at the deaths of characters I had come to prefer and those also of lesser known characters which had still portrayed so well the harsh reality of a war.


Which brings me to the two points I want to tackle today. As followers of this blog would know, I love analysing stories, be they in book form or on the screen, and The Hunger Games proved to be a pleasant surprise in that rarely did I manage to guess what would happen till it actually did and there was no way I could have predicted that what starts out as a contest intended to keep the Districts from ganging up on the Capitol would eventually turn on its head to give us just that – a rebellion.


As with all rebellions, the line between right and wrong, just and unjust, becomes pretty hazy for the Allies just as it had been for the elite from the Capitol, which wrongful prejudices were ironically the reason The Hunger Games and even the rebellion happened in the first place.


My second point is exactly this. Without going into detail in order to avoid spoilers, I have to say this plot follows George Orwell’s theory from Animal Farm, which is that anyone in power is likely to abuse it. What starts out as a set of Districts suffering under the rule of a seemingly cruel master, turns into a war which, once started, made of the District people blood-seekers no better than the Gamekeepers in The Capital’s employ. Leaders are always out for power and few are incorruptible. Not everything is always what it seems and when it comes to gaining rule, everything becomes fair game. So welcome to the world of The Hunger Games, and also to the real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment