Saturday, 13 February 2016

Films To Watch This Valentine's Day

It's Valentine's Day tomorrow and whilst most couple will be enjoying a night out on the town or even a weekend break, some will, like us, have to make the most of it without leaving home (I'm still nursing my operated knee and can barely hobble around the house let alone wear heels and walk from the parking lot to the restaurant!!) Injuries aside, those of us with kids might also find it impossible to get someone to babysit and will have to make the most of a romantic dinner for two cooked by one of the partners once the little ones are asleep, maybe followed by a romantic film to suit the occasion. As most of my readers know, films are my speciality so today I'll be giving you an assorted list of romantic films you might like to watch with your better half. Please note trailers are available at the end of each linked review.

The Ugly Truth (2009)
A light and genuinely humorous romantic comedy that stars hunky Gerard Butler in the role of a chauvinistic tv show host who might be getting more than he bargained for when he accepts a job on a morning news show produced by Katherine Heigl's character Abby.

Music and Lyrics (2007)
This one's well worth a watch if you haven't seen it already. Starring two big names in romantic comedy films (Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore), this is about two people who could not be any more different and maybe that is why they work well together on their shared project of creating a song for Cora Corman, a commercial singer who loves their song... only to want to change it drastically! I wrote my thoughts on this one after the first viewing and I must admit I didn't do the film justice at the time, it's even better than I'd said! I must also point out that at the time I had written that it is good for kids to watch but I have to admit some scenes are pretty PG. In any case, here's my verdict at the time: http://vintagehew.blogspot.com.mt/2014/06/my-two-cents-worth-music-lyrics.html

About Time (2013)
I will never stop recommending this one. It is more than a romantic comedy and it also teaches us a lesson or two but it is primarily a fun ride with main characters Mary and Tim. I have written at length about this one in my appreciation post on here: http://vintagehew.blogspot.com.mt/2014/09/its-about-time.html but for a more commercial review you may click here: http://www.eve.com.mt/2015/01/16/about-time-we-had-a-cosy-night-in/

Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994)
Old old old, and yet a must-see for all lovers of British films. It deals with love in the shape not only of 'the one' we should spend our life with but also close friends. Although not exactly a review, here is my take on the film that caused much hype twenty-two years back and is even now a title everybody has at least heard of: http://www.eve.com.mt/2015/04/09/my-guilty-pleasure-a-british-classic-film/

What's Your Number? (2011)
This one's about hot shirtless Chris Evans character Colin but no no, I side-track... it's actually about his neighbour Ally (Anna Faris) who might have had one too many lovers in her young life. Determined to settle down, she vows to herself she's not to ever exceed a twentieth boyfriend!

Love, Rosie (2014)
I left my current favourite for last! Having just reviewed this film only two months ago, here's what I think of this Sam Claflin/Lily Collins film: http://vintagehew.blogspot.com.mt/2015/12/love-rosie-film-worth-watching.html

No comments:

Post a Comment