Friday, 27 November 2015

The downside to following Minimalist rules

I spoke last time of how I intend to practice Minimalism once again but unfortunately it's been a very hectic time of trying to catch up with a lot of things and I'm running behind on deadlines without adding a new concept to my life right now! Meanwhile however, I have still been giving it some thought and I must say some Minimalist practices can cause nuisances at times!

Take, for example, the fact that a Minimalist will only keep what they feel they need or love. Using these two key words I went through my bookcase more than once, removing anything that I did not have a special liking to or intended to read/reread. Among these books was a classic that I'd studied for my English 'A' level and which was a paperback issue with a badly creased spine and dogged pages full of notes in pencil, the result of countless hours of reading and studying. At the time, I felt compelled by the Minimalist rules to get rid of the book as I had no intention of ever rereading it, given just how thoroughly I'd been through it over and over. Alas, I now found myself needing a reread as I intend to write a piece related to it and would rather ensure that I have every minute detail accurate! Not only did it mean a trip to the library, but one that only served to send me on to another library as the one in my village doesn't carry the title after all. Getting to the library in the next town is proving quite difficult, in between their weird and short opening hours coupled with my work hours as well as that this particular library can be found at the top of a staircase, which I currently cannot easily go up due to a knee cartilage problem that is proving to limit me in whatever I am trying to do!

Another Minimalist practice I embraced back when I tried the simple life before was that of reducing my Facebook friends list to only those people who I still somehow interact with in real life. Now that I am a writer and use Facebook to promote my writing, my image as well as the magazine I work for, I chid myself every day for having simplified my friends list!

On the other hand, there are perks to being a Minimalist too. But that is something I'll have to go into another time, as I really need to get the proof reading of an upcoming article done tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment