Monday, 2 November 2015

2nd November 2009 - The MP who saved us both

I have to admit that after writing this post I was torn about whether to actually publish it or not, the reason being that this is personal and you know how I don't like doing personal. However I then reasoned that as I am a writer, and pride myself on the fact that through being a writer I can voice my opinion about matters of importance that should be tackled so that more people become aware of them, I couldn't leave this entry unpublished.

On the 23rd October of six years ago, which was also as this year a Friday, I was taken ill. I was then 14 weeks pregnant. Throughout the whole of ten days, most of which I spent in the hospital, my fever never let up and I could keep neither food nor water down. Meanwhile I was coughing so bad, night and day, that I could never lie down and sleep. And all this while, despite almost daily blood tests being carried out with no conclusive diagnosis and penicillin being pumped into my body intravenously, my health started deteriorating. Breathing became a struggle and I was scared to look in the mirror for the face that looked back was almost skeletal.

On the 2nd of November 2009, thankfully, a very talented doctor took me under his care. I am not being overly dramatic when I say he saved both my life and that of my unborn son. Slowly, now in a different hospital under one dedicated doctor and with a staff truly worthy of praise, I was given the right meds for what had originally been a mere chest infection left undiagnosed and untreated. My fever went down and I started keeping food down again. I started the long road to full recovery and soon my son was kicking away again, assuring me he was feeling much his old self.

I was a long time getting better and even once I got back to work, I spent the rest of my pregnancy practically locked inside the house outside of work hours, fearing that another encounter with someone who was coughing or sneezing might send me back into the hospital whilst my immune system was still down.

Why am I going on about this? Unfortunately one of my bad traits is that I do not find it simple to let things go. I wouldn't say I'm someone who remembers everything, far from it! And yet when I do remember something, it's so accurately embedded in my brain that I can actually go back in time and relive emotions, meet my own previous self, look at it all over again in detail, just as though I was seeing it all in my mind's eye.

And one thing I will never stop saying about this whole episode in my life, is that it was that one caring and brilliant doctor who saved me and my son. I will not be mentioning any names, even though this is praise towards a doctor worthy of it, but I doubt it is ethical to mention someone who is not aware of the reference. However one thing I must say, and it's what I've been trying to get at all throughout this descriptive post, is that this doctor is also a local well-known political figure. Much like anyone else in the public eye, his name is mentioned often in both good things and bad, but one thing that pains me always is to hear of him being dissed for putting his patients before his political career.

I am not actually even bothered with politics, in fact I am a floater who thinks with her mind and not her heart when it comes to the polls. So being safely out of reach of politics' tight grip on most Maltese hearts, I am at liberty to say that regardless of what party I vote for from one time to the next, this doctor will always be a hero to me. It is a real pity that people will shame political figures who actually have a more important part to play in their lives than to just sit in on parliament. A doctor is a doctor first and foremost and I can from experience say, this one was of much more value saving a patient than sitting in on yet another inconclusive dispute. Thank you dear doctor, you know who you are.


No comments:

Post a Comment