Tuesday, 7 July 2015

About Art - In whatever form it may come

So... I had a blog post in mind for today which morphed into an article which I will be submitting to EVE instead. Rather than postpone this entry any longer, I will take a few minutes to mention something currently on my mind instead. As always I will be moving away from the personal except to say that my son (5 years old) had his first real art lesson today and he seems to be as good at and interested in art as I had gauged him to be! I am so happy to see how much he loves aesthetics and being creative and he really is good at art for his young years (at least I think that!)

Which brings me to something I learnt only a few months ago. Back in March I had the lovely opportunity of corresponding with and then interviewing the very talented artist Lisa Falzon. Primarily the exercise was intended for a feature I then wrote about Lisa for one of Malta's biggest hard-copy magazines - The Circle. Not only was it amazing to see my name on the magazine, which has been around since I was just a girl, but it provided me with more diversity in my job and more knowledge and experience.

But above all, it also provided me with an insight into a real artist's world, and a quote from Lisa herself will never leave me. "Artists tend to be children who as they grew, never stopped creating. Everyone has the capacity to create things..... what holds us back is that the skill to create things, unlike the drive, is an acquired one that requires us to keep at it and create a lot of mediocre work..... As we grow, so does self-consciousness, and embarrassment and unwillingness to 'fail'..... It's up to parents and educators to encourage confidence in these areas....." For as long as I live, I don't think I will ever forget that quote or the impact it had on me.

It is like she is explaining exactly what happens not only in the visual arts, but even in writing. As a child I would happily while the hours away writing first chapters to stories I never finished, and at times whole stories too. Reading them now makes me cringe but back then I looked upon them as achievements. They will never get published, none of them are up to standard for that, but I do realise that back then I had what adults find very hard to keep - a self-confidence. And yes - since I did stop writing regularly (though maybe never altogether) for some years - I found it harder as an adult to go through the process of the practice side of things, producing page upon page of thoughts only coherent to myself, bits and pieces and phrases and ideas, turning them all into first one article and then another differently-worded one, all the while striving to achieve the perfection I crave in whatever I do (other than in cooking my husband would point out!!)

I leave you today with this thought, this big 'push' I mention that I, and any other artist, has to go through, swimming through the multitude of crossed out pages and deleted document versions, in order to find your own voice, your own mind, your own masterpieces.


No comments:

Post a Comment