Tuesday, 10 March 2015

All's Well That Ends Well (or is it?)

Over the weekend I finally sat down to watch the third and last episode of Till We Meet Again, that bitter-sweet mini-series I first mentioned in my blog post My Week In Film and Book Titles and which I later revisited in more detail in When the Villain makes it worth while.
The story had more in store for the characters to face and also took some surprising turns. I would never have warranted Eve with the courage and stamina she shows in this episode. Despite her impulsive nature in the earliest part of the film as well as her apparent disregard for norms, over the second part of the series especially she had seemed to me to get drawn into her husband's world too completely, acting the part of the wife and mistress of the house to the point where I had seen her become less feisty and more sweet and soft than anything else.
Meanwhile I will forever be disappointed in DeLancel himself, the father. SPOILER ALERT I not only would have never guessed he'd turn against his son, but I also find it hard to stomach just how a father could harbour hatred of this kind for any of his children. I do understand what Bruno did was not only underhanded and downright stealing, but however badly he acted does not give authority to a parent to hate. I actually find it difficult to believe any parent could hate their child with a passion such as he shows, despite it being somewhat deserving.
Meanwhile Bruno (played by Hugh Grant) as the villain just kept getting better and better (by which I mean a worse and worse person of course). Unlike what I thought when I blogged about the second part of the film, there is no redemption here for Bruno. Whilst as usual I was pained to see a character played by Hugh come to a nasty end (as the villain it was in the interest of a good ending that he does I would think), I must admit that with a character as nasty and horrid I should have been pleased he got what he deserved (or did he? I tend to excuse villains for their ways given their outlook on life is usually, as in this case, shaped by their history rather than a bad heart. After all, despite all else, it was in my opinion partly his father's fault that he had to grow up as he did. I do feel his dad had been insensitive to him and his mother to say the least, although admittedly his mother pressed the trigger killing herself before waiting for his reply. Who knows what would have happened differently had she waited to hear him out?) I rather think that were Bruno's history any different there would have been no story, given he would have grown up to be a fine young man, maybe a compassionate one, definitely one with a good heart. After all, he does stick up for his mother Eve when the Germans are looking to find the woman who's helped the Jews escape. Now whether there was anything in it for him, though, I did not immediately understand, and only now figure his earlier outburst at her being out at night spoiling his plans would certainly be the reason behind his false oath on her being home.

On to the character of Freddy, the sweet red-haired and very young Courtney Cox, I was once again thrilled to find my earlier guesses were to be somewhat incorrect. I mentioned last time how I wondered did she love her husband enough or were her friend's words about having married the wrong man ominously true... I will leave the surprise to you to find out but must say that once again here the twists in the story made this a breathless watch.
And as I mentioned Freddy I cannot leave her sister Delphine out of this, who despite being my least favourite character I must say seems to me she turned out to be the most level-headed one with the 'normal' life the others seem all to have shied away from.
Back to my title now, one that gave me food for thought. This episode marked the end to the story, a story which you must have assumed from my praise as being an adventurous ride all through. To say it ended well would be to concede that there must be deaths along the way as well as people who will now never get the chance at being good. As far as plot goes, this novel turned mini-series might be a commercial story but in that case it makes Danielle Steel's stories and characters look petty and under-developed in comparison.
As I close this series' chapter in my blog I admit to having one regret about it all - I am still so disappointed in the ending to Bruno's story, but that is probably because it was so decidedly good. As the villain he had no chance at mercy from the author but often since watching this final instalment I have found myself asking - could a woman's love have changed Bruno's bitterness and regrets? After all, was it not another human being that had instilled the hatred in him to begin with? It ends well for most, but I'll eternally blame the author for making me fall for the villain once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment