Saturday, 4 October 2014

On Two Unrelated Things

Here I am once again ready to write and upload my entry. Now sometimes I upload articles which I would have spent ages writing and rewriting and editing, then uploading them in the hope that they prove interesting enough to attract a following. Other times, like today, I just sit down and write an entry to upload there and then. I know only that I intend on talking about two totally u related topics which have come up in my life this week.

The first is 'The Happiness Project', by Gretchen Rubin. It is a book I had read before but with being ill the whole of September, I thought it was time to revisit it in the hope of bettering my situation. Because I have been feeling less happy than unhappy lately and I thought that was either a direct consequence of being ill, else I was so constantly ill because I was so down to start with. Either way, when I trudged to the doctor's waiting room for the umpteenth time last month (ironically the very last day of the month), I picked it off my bookshelf and spent the long tedious wait reading. I thought I remembered it all still, especially as I try as much as possible to practice all my findings from this book. However it seems it was time for a refresher because it gave me the much-needed boost not only to accept myself as I am all over again but also made me itch to take up my own happiness resolutions again. All in all, my life is better for reading Rubin's book (and also her other book 'Happier at Home') and I have to admit that although it alone could have never relieved me of the depression that settled upon me with motherhood (and lasted for a horribly long three and a half years) it nonetheless helped a lot... It was the self-help book I needed. It taught me those stupid little things that are so obvious and yet go unnoticed like that you can change no one but yourself. Funnily enough, the knowledge of these little things as well as the boost the book gives you to start working on those areas in life you feel need attention make me happier in themselves. Which does not mean, however, that I will leave it at that. Once again I will strive to note those things that would make me happier if I changed them, learn to accept those things that can't be changed, and focus every day on doing that which makes me the happier in the long term. One example I can mention is that only a couple of days after I started re-reading this book, I was toying with the idea of whether or not to go shopping for a pair of much-needed sturdy comfy boots for the winter. I so didn't feel like trudging off to the shops on the first day that my son was back in school and I could relax at home. But I knew that that was the one day I was sure not to have any other commitments to see to. So I reasoned that getting it over with would make me happier in the long term than choosing to stay home, only to find a couple weeks later that I was I still boots-less when it started to rain cats and dogs. I am so happy to have got that over with that very same day, the relief of crossing an errand off my to-do list is twofold... satisfaction and a happiness booster.

Now on to the other topic up for today's post. I have yesterday seen 'Sirens' 1994 for a first time. It is impressively directed by John Duigan and filmed in Australia. For those of you wondering, yes... This is another Hugh Grant film and I think I could class this as one of the best when it comes to his acting. In fact, it is a pity that this film premiered at the same time as Four Wedding and A Funeral and so got totally ignored in the frenzy surrounding Curtis' romantic comedy which made it big for both its creator (Curtis) as well as Hugh Grant.

This is one of those films I researched extensively before deciding it was worth buying. Many reviews mentioned the nudity and the sexual content of the film but did little justice to the story. However I did stumble on one commentary that mentioned a witty interpretation and a plot-of-sorts, despite the general impression that this one was all about coming to terms with the erotic side to humanity. Now I could not very well say this is a PG film that I would ever allow a child to watch but neither is it intent in its pursuit of the steamy scenes at the expense of the story. In fact I have to admit that the lewd conduct of most of the characters (and here an aside to make it clear that Hugh Grant is excluded from my comment as he is not in any nude scene and I believe he never signs on to any such contracts) is in keeping with the storyline and important to it in fact. So despite the fact that I personally look back more fondly on the scene with the koala briefly making an appearance and the more eye-appealing scenes with Hugh's character Father Anthony Campion constantly in some conversation or other, I have to admit that were the actors (and actresses more to the point) fully clothed then the story might not have worked.

This is not a film for the mind to linger on after the credits come up but I am however still trying to figure out my own version of one disturbing phrase uttered by Father Campion. When his wife, full of guilt, wants a heart to heart to absolve herself from her transgressions, he is quick to tell her it would be best not to tell him anything of what she might have done as it is good to have some secrets. This seems to me very irrational though in view of Anthony's character development it very much makes sense in the context of the story. And in fact, for the couple in question, this does work out for a better relationship but I truly wonder, in the real world, would that honestly work.

I must off now as I am already breaking my resolution to go to sleep on time (meaning around tennish) but I leave you with my two cents' worth about Hugh's interpretation of the young prudish and full-of-himself Father Anthony 'Tony' Campion... I have never seen any other actor interpret a character in such a way that the shock, disbelief and worry of the character invoke in the viewer the amount of pity and comradeship that he does, even with a character that the viewer has already deemed unlikeable in his piety and snobbish behaviour.

No comments:

Post a Comment