Saturday, 24 May 2014

A Horror to Watch

It's not even a horror film and yet it's a horror to watch (or not watch, if it's so bad you end up falling asleep hallway through!)

Today's is a short list (in no particular order) of the worst films I ever had the misery of watching together with the reasons why:

The League of Gentlemen's Apocalypse (2005) - I could not exactly pinpoint where it went wrong, especially as it's been almost nine years since I watched it. Started interestingly enough but tended to try to be funny in not-so-funny ways and I would class it more as a kind of mock-horror film than comedy whilst IMDb classes it as Comedy and Horror (a first I should think?)

The Golden Compass (2007) - with such a fuss as was made about this film, including merchandise even, I would have expected a winner. Instead it seems to me like the scenes, whilst maybe taken from the book that the film was based on, were disjointed and to my writer's mind it seemed to have summarized the whole story too much, leaving out details maybe? Though this is pure guessing on my part as I have not read the book. Unfortunately nor would I like to, given the disappointment of watching this film. May I also wonder why the ending is no ending at all? It leaves the viewer hanging not in the way that a well-made film/book would (leaving it up to the audience to draw conclusions), but rather ending it all in the very middle of something... the search for the little girl's now apparently father rather than uncle, it ends in mid-air, both literally and figuratively. In an effort to cancel it from my 'horrors' list I rewatched it only a few weeks ago and all same feelings about it resurfaced. Definitely never to be watched again.

Captain Corelli's Mandolin (2001) - Now I do admit to watching this film in the cinema with a boyfriend at an age where cinemas spell making-out more than anything else. But I honestly did try my best to understand the story, as did the then-boyfriend. Only it seemed too drab and dragged to be of much interest to us. In the end we walked out halfway through the film and I never found out how it all ended. With this one, am quite tempted to try rewatching it, from start to finish this time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment