Friday, 4 April 2014

A Little Bit of the Author

It always amuses me when novels hold a disclaimer stating that all characters are fictitious and any resemblance to people dead or alive is purely coincidental. Now lately this disclaimer keeps replaying in my head as I write my novel.

Whilst reading up on film scripts a few weeks ago, I came across a statement that made a lot of sense. It appears that script writers often write a little of themselves into characters, then choose actors to play their part - a part depicting a doppelgänger with better looks than those of the scriptwriter. Maybe that explains the reason why some script-writers choose the same actors to work with over and over. And it might also explain the Chagall painting in Notting Hill, where Richard Curtis' alter-ego William (played by Hugh Grant) loves the same artist as the script-writer.

Which brings me to my own novel. Whilst I am certainly not the impulsive drastic person that is the persona in my novel, I must admit that quite a bit of me has made it into the narrative. Starting with my image of the 'perfect man' to the short attention span and love of art and old furniture, character Jeanne and I have a lot in common. And so I wonder, are all heroines a product not only of their author's imagination but also maybe a little bit a product of the author's life?

No comments:

Post a Comment